Minnyhive

   MINNYHIVE, a village, in the parish of Glencairn, county of Dumfries, 17 miles (N. W. by W.) from Dumfries; containing 667 inhabitants. It is situated nearly in the centre of the parish, on the south bank of the small river Dalwhat, one of three streams that unite a little below the village, and form the Cairn. This place has latterly much increased in extent and population; and the houses which have recently been built are of a superior description; the inhabitants are partly engaged in agriculture, and partly in handicraft trades and manufactures. A post-office has been established; and fairs are held in March, July, and October, chiefly for hiring servants. The Dalwhat is crossed here by a bridge leading to the pleasant village of Dunreggan; and the turnpike-road from Dumfries passes in the vicinity. In Minnyhive is a cross, erected about 1638, when a charter was granted constituting the place a burgh of barony, with power to hold a weekly market; and within a quarter of a mile stands on rising ground a monument, erected in 1828, to the memory of the Rev. James Renwick, the last of the martyrs executed in 1688.

A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. . 1856.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Glencairn —    GLENCAIRN, a parish, in the county of Dumfries, 13½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Dumfries; containing, with the villages of Dunreggan, Kirkland, and Minnyhive, 2094 inhabitants. The parish is about fifteen miles long, and three and a half broad,… …   A Topographical dictionary of Scotland

  • Dunreggan —    DUNREGGAN, a village, in the parish of Glencairn, county of Dumfries, 5½ miles (W. S. W.) from Penpont; containing 277 inhabitants. It is a well built and thriving place, situated on the banks of the Dalwhat stream, over which is a stone… …   A Topographical dictionary of Scotland

  • Morton —    MORTON, a parish, in the county of Dumfries, 15 miles (N. W. by N.) from Dumfries; containing, with the village of Thornhill, and part of Carronbridge, 2161 inhabitants. The name of Morton, which is Anglo Saxon, signifies the stronghold or… …   A Topographical dictionary of Scotland

  • Thornhill —    1) THORNHILL, a post village, in the parish of Morton, county of Dumfries, 14 miles (N. N. W.) from Dumfries, and 61 (S. W. by S.) from Edinburgh; containing 1416 inhabitants. This is a considerable place, finely situated on an eminence in the …   A Topographical dictionary of Scotland

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.